Helpline :+91 9736247048, 9882754925, 9459901869 Sales :+91 9816487080, 9810075132
Sales Office: A1/123 LG Safdarjung Enclave New DelhThis email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$readmore in /hermes/bosnaweb22a/b2791/ipw.sitsplcom/public_html/ja-hotel-devcottage/templates/ja_hotel/html/layouts/joomla/content/image/intro.php on line 24

St. John in the Wilderness is an Anglican church dedicated to John the Baptist built in 1852, located near Dharamshala, India, on the way to McLeodGanj, at Forsyth Gunj. Set amidst deodar forest, and built in neo-Gothic architecture, the church is known for its Belgian stained-glass windows donated by Lady Elgin (Mary Louisa Lambton), wife of Lord Elgin.

Though the church structure survived the 1905 Kangra earthquake, which killed close to 19,800 people, injured thousands in the Kangra area, and destroyed most buildings in Kangra, Mcleodganj and Dharamshala; its spire, Bell tower, was however destroyed. Later, a new bell, cast in 1915 by Mears and Stainbank, was brought from England and installed outside in the compound of the church.

Its churchyard is the final resting place of Lord Elgin, who served as Governor General of the Province of Canada, who oversaw the Creation of Responsible Government in Canada, and later, while in China, ordered the complete destruction of the Old Summer Palace. He became Governor-General & Viceroy of India in 1861 during the British Raj, though he soon died at Dharamshala on November 20, 1863, and was buried there.